Eight Humanist Schools in western Uganda!
Brighter Brains Institute supports schools in the Ruwenzori region who join our humanist movement.
In 2014, BBI started supporting Kasese Humanist Primary School.
In 2016, we asked regional schools to accept our Humanist Principles (nine schools inquired, but we eventually accepted only four).
In 2017, we raised funds to build three classrooms at Kasese Humanist Secondary School. We also built Kahendero Humanist Hall (renting it will support Kahendero Humanist School); plus we purchased a fishing boat to provide food for the Kahendero school children, and in March, 2017, we launched Kanyenze Girls Humanist School.
The eight humanist schools we support in western Uganda are:
- Kasese Humanist Primary School
- BiZoHa Orphanage Humanist School
- Kahendero Nursery Humanist School
- Kanyenze Humanist Primary School
- Kasese Humanist Secondary School
- Mother Givers Humanist School
- Garama Secondary Humanist School
- Nyakiyumbu Widows Orphanage Humanist School
The humanist schools and "interested in humanism" schools receive various benefits for accepting a humanist curriculum, depending on our fundraising success. The benefits can:
- A clinic, with free medicines, and a medic (10 of the schools have a clinic)
- A free school lunch program (established at 4 schools)
- BBI builds a brick classroom (we've done this at 7 of the schools)
- A humanist teacher
- AFRIpads or GEMpads for the older girls (delivered to 10 of the schools so far)
- BBI helps access clean water (we accomplished this at 1 school)
- BBI sets up a sustainable business
In exchange for these benefits, the newly-humanist or "interested in humanism" schools:
- End prayer and religious indoctrination at the school
- Post the “Ten Humanist School Values” in their classrooms (see below)
- Provide sex education to older children
- Add the word “Humanist” to the name of the school
To donate to our efforts, click here. USA donations receive tax deductible receipts.